Sunday, June 19, 2011

Question- Does this qualify as a Tarantula?


This little treat was sitting by the old sink next to the washing machine in the basement the other day.

I went down to do some laundry and I saw it sitting there, just hanging out. This thing made that spider with the green fangs that I caught when we first got here look like a teddy bear. I knew I had to get a photo for emphasis, and I put the bottle cap there for perspective.  Aren't I helpful?

The thing barely moved when I put the bottle cap next to it. Just a slow shift, as if it was making room for the bottle cap. I took the picture, started the laundry cycle and told the spider to scram. I really don't want to kill these things. When i see them, I get creeped out... but I also think of my coven sisters, Lorraine and Hillary and I really can't kill them! How do I kill a creature connected to the goddess Athena and Arachne too???? (Arg!!!!!)

Fast forward about 15 minutes and I hear the rinse cycle on, so I run down to toss in some fabric softener. So exciting, I know. I get down to the stairs to see that the hose to the washing machine is no longer in the sink (its an old house. This is the way we roll here) but on the floor, and all the water getting sucked out is now on the floor too. All of it is running towards the drain by the shower (that's another post) but the tarantula is still sitting on the sink edge.
There's no way in hell I'm ducking under that ledge to get a hold of the hose with that thing sitting there. So I said, "Sorry, girl. You need to take a hike!" and I knocked it off the ledge. It hit the water and then climbed up onto a piece of wood that got knocked to the floor. And it just sat there. No running away, no crazed dance as it tried not to get killed. It just sat on the wooden life preserver and continued chillin' out. I had this thought that it was like an old dog, too tired to do anything more than just sit around. 

I'm kinda glad I didn't kill it. I haven't seen it in a few days, and that's good. But it better not be resting up some place, getting ready to pounce when I go collect the laundry tomorrow. If that thing comes at me I won't be held responsible!

2 comments:

  1. ohmygoodness... I don't like killing them either, but i think i definitely would have had a sit-down with her and said look, you go your way, i'll go mine, we both live happily, ok?

    love and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is absolutely terrifying. Although, it's sweet that you thought of Hilary and me because of it, I would never do laundry again.

    ReplyDelete